Tuesday, April 24, 2007

04.16.07

Monday (my actual birthday)

9:38 AM / 10:38 AM EST

Me: "Graaant, thanks for the birthday wishes. How are ya?"
Grant
: "Definitely, man. [Pause] We are in the middle of another gunman running around."
Me
: "Oh God. Seriously?"
Grant
: "Yeah, one dead and another has been shot. As far as they know."
Me
: "That's so nuts. Is it near your campus or back home?"
Grant
: "It’s the dorm right next to mine."
Me
: "Oh man. Be safe and careful. I would cry a river if you even got hurt, let alone more."
Grant
: "Yeah, I’m stayin’ in my room."
Me
: “Yeah, probably best. If you need random entertainment at any point today, just call me."
Grant
: "Okay, I might."
Me
: "I'm retarded. It's a little sad."
Grant
: "No, that’s awesome. I’m gonna start drinking."
Me
: "I'm contemplating goin' to class 'cause it'd be funny."
Grant
: "Drunk class is always fun."
Me
: "Oh yes. Okay bud, I’m off. Talk to you later."
Grant
: "Seeya."

Grant goes to Tech, for those of you haven't figured it out yet. I honestly was still a little drunk but went to class anyway because I thought it was funny. I saw Ryanne, and she was impressed(?) by my ability to... I don’t know... stand?

Josh and I went to O'Henry’s for our free birthday steaks and a huge appetizer sampler. He was wearing the same thing as he wore the night before too, so I felt vindicated. At O’Henry’s, they had CNN on, and that was the first time I realized the magnitude of the tragedy at Virginia Tech. The count was 30 people higher than the two from the morning. Adrian called me a few seconds later to ask if I had heard from Grant lately. I almost lost it, but apparently Adrian was no more updated than I was. [Grant and the other dozen friends I have at Tech are fine. Thank God.]

Class. I called G-Money again to ask how he was doing. Apparently that morning we spoke in the interim between shootings, so at that point he had no idea what was going on either. My thoughts and prayers have been with Tech since that day.

Whitney and I took Puja "shopping" on Magazine in the afternoon. I use the quotation marks because Whitney hates shopping and we happened to get there right as all the stores were closing. We wound up at La Divina Gelateria, which is basically the Whole Foods / Baja Fresh of gelato stores. They make everything from fresh and organic ingredients. Whitney treated me for my birthday to a three flavor sundae. Cioccolato scuro (dark chocolate), cocco (organic Philippine coconut), and tiramisu.

We went to dinner with Peter, Lauren, David, Lizzie, Sylvia, Nicole, Becca, and Matt. Mat & Addie’s was the best restaurant I’d never heard of. I think, because they were so many of us, we tried everything on the menu. Everything I had was wonderful:

  • three-onion, smoked salmon and goat cheese pissaladière (thick crust French pizza topped with house-smoked salmon, goat cheese, caramelized shallots, green and red onions, and capers)
  • fried oyster salad (on arugula with green onion rémoulade topped with apple smoked bacon, pickled fennel, and onion)
  • crispy duck leg confit and 17th ward blood orange Lousiana yams with Nueske’s bacon-braised collard greens and sauce Rouennaise
  • nectar float (homemade vanilla ice cream floated with a local nectar soda)

No comments: