Sunday, April 15, 2007

birthday pre-game

The TCC's Prodigal Son Comes Home

So instead of IATU's semiformal, and the Dirty Coast fashion show/concert at Tipitina's, I decided to put my money toward a good cause. The Catholic Center sponsors a gala every year for Covenant House, a clinic/shelter/orphanage of sorts for homeless youth. I'm a little embarassed to say this is the first year I've attended, but the amount of food and alcohol was well worth the ticket. I forgot that Zea brewed beer, but I would never have guessed that Covington, LA has an official brew. A bunch of familiar faces were there, either attending or volunteering. Fathers Jose and Carl (who would have loved the title of this section) were nowhere in sight, but the other Fathers and Misses who frequent the center were around. There was an appearance by THEM, "Tulane's only performance a cappella group," and four songs and a highly demanded encore. Awesome as always. Some of the members stuck around and mingled afterward.

Barhopping. Just a little

Leah, her visiting friend Courtney, Whitney, her visiting friend Puja, and I all met up and went to Bruno's. Whitney and I did a little flashdancing. Leah and I recruited Courtney and Puja to join Team Cleavage V.2.0 for Photo Hunt. We wound up at The Palms.

Happy Birthday, Mom!

I know I (reverse-?)drunk-dialed you at midnight, but happy birthday again anyway. I love you.

It's not a marathon; it's a sprint.

We set a new record, I think? Shannon and I had a fun, brief mall excursion and then she treated me to an early birthday lunch since she'll be missing the festivities tonight. She also brought me some Louisiana strawberries fresh from Strawberry Fest. We went to Oki Nago, which is a massive Japanese/Asian buffet. (And it's probably the best one I've been to.) So cross that off the to-eat list from 4/10. After getting directions from Stephanie, we weren't sure where to find it "behind Lone Star" but recognized it immediately. It looked like we were approaching Kitchen Stadium from Iron Chef. Huge blown-up photographs of food. Pillars. Bridge. Water. Asian architecture. Etc. We were pressured on time though, so we hurried. But we made it worth it and would both go back in the future. I haven't eaten a similar heap of food in a similar limited amount of time since... The Tchoupitoulas Challenge? We're not sure whether to be enticed or disgusted by the idea they have even more food at dinner.

No comments: