Monday, February 04, 2008

"Superbowl" Sunday

Sunday morning Liz, Giuseppe, John and I went to hear mass at Santa Croce, our neighborhood church. I can’t believe something so beautiful is so close to us. It’s all stone, stained glass, and sculpture and pretty much a museum the other days of the week. I could understand most of the service because catholic mass is so uniform and because of my limited knowledge of Italian and somewhat knowledge of Latin. John suggested we make this our home base but try to go to a different church every weekend. Well received idea.

Afterwards we went to the café. (By the way, I keep calling it a café but in actuality it’s a bar as we found out when we left the other day and the drink specials and free antipasti were out.) We did various internet stuff and sipped cappuccinos and mused at how incredible it is that this is our life now.

My roommates and I went off to Carnevale in Via Reggio. (Venezia was too far and too expensive.) Henk and I felt responsible to attend because of Brazil and New Orleans, respectively. ‘Seppe had never been before and took advantage of the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. We were sure if more people knew what Carnevale entailed, they would have gone. We got on the train with literally four seconds to spare. It was awesome. The floats were crazy. EVERYTHING moved. Animatronics. Think "It's A Small World" at Disney but with larger than life puppets. Every single one blared music. It rained confetti instead of beads.




This time we got on the train with four minutes to spare, which is a little better. We got back just in time to go to the Welcome Party at Space Electronico, a club which (ironically) I’d been to years ago when I was on spring break with Gonzaga. The food was decent, certainly not catered by Apicius. The roast pig and the risotto both stood out as quite good, I thought. The American bar, naturally, was showing the Superbowl but none of my friends nor I made it all the way through. None of us had any invested interest in either of the teams and slowly realized we missed all the things associated with The Bowl (wings, beer, chips, commercials, halftime show) more than the actual game. Some of us just got more food at the gyro place underneath our apartment and then hung out at the girls’ place. Busy day but busy in a great way.

No comments: