Wednesday, February 06, 2008

second day of school

So I wasn't as excited for my "food writing" course as I was for "food styling," but it was awesome. I can't believe I actually get to study this sort of thing. It's pretty much an English (e.g. that subject which should have been my major) class focused on food. The professor is young - She could pass for a student - and very laidback. We were doing the around-the-room introductions and got sidetracked several times on food, whether it be obviously common interests or local restaurant recommendations. It is a lecture course, and there's no lab fee but apparently we are expected to do "field research." So we HAVE to go out and eat things, so we can write about it. Awesome. And I was happy to find out not all the students here are from Stonybrook like the clan that's set up in my neighborhood. The room was almost all-American but diverse in state geography. Small world time, one of the girls (I'm the only guy) is from Bethesda and went to Holy Child, so obviously we had a few mutual friends.

My Italian professor walked in wearing leather pants, sat on his desk, and turned on a little boombox that played “September” by Earth Wind & Fire. Already a cool class. Also, he never actually turned it off during the class. He just lowered the volume and put it on loop, so he could talk over it. He also picks up the whiteboard if the people in the back can’t read the bottom. He’s already yelled at me twice for using Spanish words when I don’t know the Italian ones, but he does seem nice. He also takes requests for our classroom soundtrack because of an extensive CD library.

When I got home, Henk was making dinner. (I might break this streak by noting it, but I haven't cooked a single meal at home since arriving here.) He made a red pasta with ground beef, peppers, olives, and of course tomatoes. Even Aneet - who has yet to take to the food here - was impressed. Chocolate and Nutella toast for dessert. And of course trusty house red to wash it all down.

The three of us and most of the group wound up at The Girls Next Block apartment, where the game of the night was Kings/Waterfall/Circle of Death. Of course, it took a few minutes of round table to settle on the rules. By far the best moments were when Liane made the rule that everyone had to assign the person to their right a character to stay in during the game. Going clockwise around the table.
  • Jack: Snoop Dogg
  • Primavera: George W. Bush
  • Henrique: Speedy Gonzalez
  • Giuseppe: A baby
  • Me: A german
  • Liane: Drunk Primavera
Good times. After all that, only Jess, Mindy, Henrique, and I stayed out at an Argentinian bar on our street. Henk and I continued our booze journey around the world while the two girls split French fries and a banana split. (They looked good. Thick, non-uniform fries and a split made with gelato.)

No comments: