Monday, February 18, 2008

back to action

Sunday afternoon I spent at the café/bar, as usual. I went over to Liz’s for one of our tea sessions and ended up staying for Anna’s dinner. Fusilli with marinara sauce doctored with garlic, onions, and mushrooms and a nice salad. Liz, Alison, Henk, and I eventually went on a gelato run to Dei Neri for dessert. When we got back, Liane, Anna, Henk, and I were joined by Jack and Juan to go out. We’re now officially members of a cultural association. I was surprised by the foosball and pool tables, but it’s otherwise pretty sophisticated. A laidback but nice atmosphere. And it was comfortably crowded. You could move easily and wouldn’t have to wait for the bartender more than a minute. Liane and I nursed our bruises with some doses from the “pharmacy.” Henk and I faced off against Jack and Juan in foosball for the honor of our apartments. Then Henk and Liane played pool against the Italians who had previously been playing the neverending pool game. (Needless to say, Henk and Liane won.)



After all that, we wanted an early morning snack, so we got kebabs from a place nearby. It’s cheaper than the place downstairs from my apartment, which is good. But it’s definitely not next door, which is not so good. Then we all parted ways and crashed.

By the way, this was all after midnight, so my Monday-I-start-real-life-again rule still applied.

As far as actual Monday, I got up and made breakfast (standing!) for the first time in a while. Then I went to the Apicius offices and Mailboxes, Etc to pick up assorted paperwork that had accumulated over the past week. Then it was back to class. I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to go to class... even including the first week.

Today’s theme in food styling class was salad. Just like everything else so far, it was taken to a whole new level than the simple chop-it-and-mix-it. Jack and I worked together and, using our chef's recipes, remade two classics, Caesar and Nicoise.

caesar salad with a bibb/butter, watercress, and arugula lettuces, croutons, anchovies, tomato concasse, balsamic reduction, and grated parmesan and grated egg yolk

salade nicoise with seared tuna, mozarella, a trio of lettuces, two kinds of olives, two kinds of caviar, smoked salt and orange zest

I actually got to try the chef's salad (no pun intended). I wanted to see if his plating technique - he had a certain order he wanted the flavors to proceed - worked its magic. And it did. Of course it tasted delicious. That part I'd never doubt.

After that it was on to Graphic Design. We had to play with textures and make a series of six. I just used a bunch of images from my camera. It's funny how so many parts of a picture can be ignored, but if you look at the texture of a background object and crop to it, it can becomes something new and independent.

During the break from class, I made my mandatory stop at the bar and threw back a shot of espresso to keep me going. Got online for a little bit and chatted with Ben. (Get well soon.) Now just this update and off to dinner and a club with some of the girls.

No comments: