Friday, February 01, 2008

L'Auberge Italienne

When I got here to Firenze, I called my parents to let them know I was alive. I went straight to the landlord’s office to get the keys for my apartment downtown. The apartment is awesome. It proves everyone who said I would live in a closet wrong. Our bathroom is bigger than my room in Aron. It’s even fully furnished and definitely nicer than any apartment I’ve ever lived in. (The only slight exception would be the kitchen of the Pine/Freret house.) When I was struggling to put the key in the door – since I refused to put down my baggage – it suddenly opened. Henrique, my new roommate, was already there. You may have heard that Giuseppe – my other roommate – and I were wondering his nationality/ies. He’s Brazilian. He offered to help me carry in my luggage. Very nice guy. He gave me a tour of the apartment. It’s bigger and nicer than I expected. I put the pictures on facebook if you’d like to see.

I unpacked some of my stuff, and then Henrique and I gave in to our hunger and went to dinner. I had ridden taxis to the landlord’s office and to my apartment, so it was my first walk in Florence in years. I love it here. It hasn’t changed a bit. The buildings are perpetually under renovation, and stores’ merchandise is perpetually on sale. Anyone who was on Marin EuroTrip 2000: I walked by Nuti and Hotel Fenice Palace. We walked past the central market and got dinner and wine at Bondi, a cozy restaurant a stone’s throw away. After dinner, we stopped by a liquor store and bought some wine. Henk had made friends with the owner, and he gave us a great, if completely arbitrary, “student discount.” We decided to just stay in for the night since Henk was tired and I had been up for over 30 hours and knew the wine would make me sleepy. So we just drank wine, listened to “good Brazilian music” (as opposed to the junk), and got to know each other. The lady at the landlord’s office had told me that there were other American students who just moved in downstairs, so we knocked on the door we thought was theirs to ask them up to get friendly and offer them wine. But we were answered in a loud, angry Italian voice. So we apologized and headed upstairs. (I’ll write about meeting the girls later. The lady was wrong about the move-in. They were next door and not there yet.)

No comments: