Thursday, March 15, 2007

"Loyola" Family Weekend 2007

I put the quotations because "Loyola," both school and student, made fewer appearances than "Tulane." Pictures coming soon.

FRIDAY

Adolescent psych. Debates. Skipped calc in favor of lunch at Franky & Johnny's with my just-arrived family and Gatto. Mom finally got boiled crawfish since she's never been here when they're in season.

We went to Columns happy hour with David and Simon in tow and when he and Adrian left, the rest of us went on a quest for my father's oysters-on-the-half-shell. Saltwater Grill apparently only serves them on Monday now (for 25¢ each!) so had to look elsewhere. We wound up at Felix's Uptown. Oysters... on-the-half-shell, Rockefeller, and chargrilled. I showed Mom my plaque at Creole Creamery next door, but we were too full of crawfish/booze/oyster and anticipating dinner, so we didn't get any ice cream.

My parents had dinner at Jacques-Imo's for the first time. We brought along David and Simon again and Whitney, who was totally hit on by Justin Long, who's better-looking in person. Or at least that's what we're going to say happened. More drinks. We split coconut shrimp, Eggplant Jacques-Imo, a few slices of shrimp and alligator sausage cheesecake for appetizers. Then we got the usual cornbread, salads, sides, and our entrees. Jacques himself came over at one point and what might be the greatest picture ever with the non-smokers and our waitress. Then, since they were impressed by the magnificence of our food consumption, she brought us ALL the desserts they were offering: a huge creme brulee, raspberry-almond cake, chocolate truffle something, and, everyone's favorite, the amazing lemon meringue cheesecake. And she gave them to us for a free as a gift from her and Jacques.

We were supposed to meet a few people for Trombone Shorty's concert at Maple Leaf Bar next door, but the wedding party there ran late and postponed the concert. Parents were tired and went back to their hotel, and we (meaning Whit, David, and I) didn't want to wait. So we went to St. Joe's (since she'd never been) for blueberry mojitos courtesy of my parents.

After that we made a wise decision and coming hom while someone could still drive. (Thanks, David.) We hung out with Claire and Ryanne at her apartment. Then I went over to Becca's to watch her blow-out all 22 of her candles (and one for good luck?). I was amazed by how beautiful the cake Amelia decorated was.


SATURDAY

Dad picked Adrian and I up and we took him to Perlis to pick up a shirt for him as a belated birthday present. We met Mom at the hotel and went to Desire: An Oyster Bar for lunch. Mom and Adrian tried boudin for the first time. I had crawfish ettoufee since the waitress said the jambalaya was too red.

We walked around The Quarter for a little bit. I showed them what Pat O'Brien's looks like in the daytime. Adrian went back to campus, and I hung out with my parents. Eventually the Benedicto Family, who live in Baton Rouge, arrived: My mom's cousin Coco, her husband Ryan, and my beautiful 10-month-old cousin Antonia.

We went with them to my father's belated (by choice) brthday dinner was at Emeril's. For our amuse-bouche, they served wonton-wrapped crawfish remoulade. I tried out their four-course tasting menu for the evening: Gulf wahoo ceviche with avocado and crispy yucca; basil-rubbed yellowtail snapper over creamy polenta with rapini, roasted garlic cloves and tomato confit; grilled North Atlantic sturgeon with red-wine-whipped potatoes and shallot bacon veal sauce; and, raspberry rice pudding with half a honey-roasted peach.

I met up with my friends for Becca's birthday at Pat O'Brien's. And I took my mom out too! Partly because I wanted to show her Pat O's and the fire fountain at night but mostly because a lot of my friends have been dying to meet her for years. We ran into Ben and his Frenchies first and then the birthday fest, hidden behind yet another wedding party. I'm not sure whether she impressed or scared my friends by knowing some of their names (from my pictures and stories). A lot of people thought she was my friend or sister. Luckily no one thought she was my date (like that woman at her office whom I punched in the face, or at least wanted to). She was worried they'd think she was some crazy "old lady," but I assured her everyone told me they were jealous what a cool mom I had. We gave Becca the requisite birthday kisses and then I got us hurricanes and gave my mommy the souvenir glasses.

The incomparable moment of the night was the present Becca got. The groom was about to give Becca a lap dance when his wife stepped in and was like "no fucking way" and told him to have his best man do it. So the best man gave Becca a pretty elaborate lab dance. Not that his wife was all too please with it after the firwt minute.

Walking down Bourbon St with my mother reminded me of the first time I walked down it, which was also with her when I visited Tulane as a skeptical prospective around this time in senior year of high school. Except back then I was sober. And so was she. She took pictures of balconies (to compare to the ones of them she took of them empty and somber in daylight), and we did the booty call with about twenty people in the street at one point. After I walked her back to the hotel, I went back to Harrah's with everyone before going to Boot O'Clock to close out the night. Claire had her first Boot pizza, another Tulane visit necessity, and then I hugged her bye since I wouldn't see her before her noon flight.


SUNDAY

We went to Commander's Palace for Jazz Brunch, which was better than I remember. The parents invited the Benedicto Family, Adrian invited Simon, and I invited Ben. The Jazz was good. The frontman had unbelievable energy, an incredibly wide smile, and what Ben noted was "a very Louisiana accent." Thicker than gumbo. All the courses were delicious, but everyone agreed the Bread Pudding Soufflé with Bourbon Sauce was the most amazing thing served and more than worth the wait.

Then the Benedictos left for BR. Everyone else intensely wanted afternoon naps/hibernations from weekend antics and overeating, so we went our separate ways. I ended up missing 6 o'clock mass with my family because I forgot to spring my alarm clock forward. By the way, I HATE SPRING FORWARD. We should just fall back until everything is even again. We were a little hungry (not that much considering brunch) so went and grabbed some oysters and other finger-foods at Felix's. This time we definitely got a few scoops at Creole Creamery, Mom and I split some chocolate amaretto cheesecake and the pink peppermint pie Rachel recommended.

We went back to the hotel suite and eventually I met up with Mike, visiting from Chicago, for a late dinner at Red Fish Grill. We had a few cocktails and shared some 1-1-1 soup (samples of crawfish bisque, turtle soup, and gumbo) and southwest salad. He had the blackened redfish and I the crawfish crusted black drum. And naturally after dinner we had a few more drinks...

Having that comfy queen size hotel bed all to myself at the end of the night was amazing.

No comments: