Thursday, January 25, 2007

what a Wednesday

It wasn't off to the greatest start but turned a complete 180.

I walked into adolescent psychology about five minutes late, and Professor Cunningham asked" Having trouble with that door, Andrew? Might help if you came to class more often."

Fantastic.

Then at the end of class when he's about to let us out early and people are looking for the sign-in: "I have the attendance sheet. You're all here today anyway. Andrew's like 'damn, the one day I come to class he doesn't pass it around.'"

Sometimes it doesn't pay to know teachers on a first-name basis.

However this evening Whitney's mom, a very sweet lady and (for those of you who know her) Miss Molly's goddaughter, took a few of her friends to dinner at Upperline. I've wanted to go for a long time now, and it exceeded my expectations. Extremely delicious.

We started with drinks and appetizers: Duck and andouille ettouffée with corn cakes and pepper jelly, crispy spicy Louisiana oysters, and "the original" fried green tomatos with shrimp remoulade.

For my entree I had Tom Cowman's Famous Roast Duck and, at the suggestion of Miss JoAnn, the owner, sampled both the garlic port and ginger peach sauces. She was right. Both spectacular (the garlic port a little more so, I thought) but the duck was so perfect that it didn't really need either.

We were so full by dessert but anyway split a slice of pecan pie a la mode and their honey-pecan bread pudding with toffee sauce.

Take that, critics who say I've stopped writing about food.

Then we did pints at The Bulldog and brought home too many glasses.

Photo courtesy of Caitlin Tully

No comments: