Friday, January 12, 2007

CHICAGO FOOD CRAWL

Coming at you live from Mikey’s iBook in his Lincoln Park apartment, it’s an update! I know... I’m surprised too.

So I get to National Airport and the flight to Pittsburgh is delayed. The ground attendant is pretty dumb and unhelpful the entire time and then proceeds to pull me and the other four people with connections off the plane right before it takes off because she says we won’t make our connections. Turns out she’s wrong but we’re off the plane when it taxis and takes off. Luckily another, competent, helpful guy shows up and rebooks me, telling me he’s booked a direct flight to Chicago that arrives there even earlier than I was supposed.

When I got here, Mike was still at his internship, so I just walked around the shops in the neighborhood, particularly Broadway. (I think it’s funny that he lives next to another street called Broadway, which has little resemblance to Tulane’s frat row.) I went to New Kyoto for lunch and got their “signature hamachi roll.” It’s hamachi (aka yellowtail tuna), eel, shrimp tempura, and spicy mustard. What makes it their signature, I suppose, is that they wrap it all in scallops and then torch it (think crème brulee) but only a little so the scallops seem lightly grilled rare. Delicious.

After that I went to Bobtail Soda Fountain because Gisela recommended it, and one of “the nicest (soda) jerks in town” told me Thursday is Root Beer Float Day, so I got one of those. It was awesome to see so many people of all ages coming to get ice cream despite the cold.

After that I went to Argo Tea Café (a tea shop, as opposed to a coffee shop) to do some reading and got a “teapuccino,” Earl Grey and frothed milk.

Mike finished work, so we went to his apartment to freshen up and stuff and then went barhopping with Gisela! Lots of fun times. I don’t remember the names of the places we went, but both Mikey and ‘Sela said it would be a chill night because they had work in the morning. After several cocktails and shots, we ended up staying out until two in the morning. Mike and I then decided it would be a great time for my first Chicaco Dog so we went to Clark St Hot Dog.

This morning we got up at 6AM to go to Clarke’s, spelled like Ryanne not like the hot dog, for omelettes. You know there’s few meals I love more than breakfast at a diner. Then while Mike went to work I continued to sleep.

I got up and showered and made a presentable second impression (as opposed to the drunken first one) on Mike’s roommate Preet and his girlfriend Erica, who both seem really nice and chill.

Then I went off with David and Viralyne on a tour of the city! Luckily David has his priorities straight, so we went to Giordano’s for their “special” (sausages, onions, mushrooms, and peppers) deep-dish pizza. And then we saw (in David-speak) “the bean thing,” “[his] fountain,” the art institute, “the face things,” the Chicago Tribune building with the cool rocks from different historic landmarks around the world (e.g. Taj Mahal), “Hale Someone, I don’t know who he is but he looks important because he has this thing named after him,” the river, and Magnificent Mile (the shopping street). We got some Garrett’s caramel crisp popcorn to munch on along the way.

I just got back from printing out my tickets for tomorrow, and now I’m off to the gym to work out with Mike so we can eat more tonight.

I'll post pictures when I get home.

No comments: