Tuesday, May 13, 2008

what a wonderful week

Last Wednesday food writing class was spent working on the promotion plan and performance script for the book launch event as well as he book presentation at the farewell party. Both happen this week. Italian class was a few new verbs and a final review. Then it was the party I call “HOWdy,” Hilary and Risa’s Cowboys & Indians party. I guess we were all feeling really American that night. I had wanted to be a Stereotypical Native American, but instead wound up a Chicano cowboy just because that costume is easier to pull together at the literal last minute.

Last Thursday in my food and culture class I made the same exact liver pate that we made in food styling last week. I changed some parts of the recipe and the teacher asked me why, and I told him it would taste better. When he tried the dish, he said it was very good and asked how I knew how to improve it. “Um, because the chef who wrote the recipe taught me how to do it.” Andrea (aforementioned chef) was in a nearby room on the computer and was pleased with the news. Food photography class was spent making our final selection of photos for submission to the school art exhibit and catalog.

Last Friday at midnight, Helen was actually here at our apartment so Juan brought over a bottle of spumante for her birthday. We drank that and then called it a night. That morning I got to chat with Phil, my other little brother, for a while (which is amazing because I can’t remember the last time we both were online at all, let alone at the same time). That evening almost everyone was at the art show. I walked in and Louis, my graphic design teacher, told me my mother and some cops from Amsterdam were waiting outside for me. Just kidding. Very funny. And then he told me to go over to the next room because I was in the show. Not a joke. Kind of funny? I was worried it would be some awkward candid that Henk or John or someone had taken. But it wasn’t. It was a picture of a salad that I had shot in food photography. That was a pleasant surprise. And of course all my wonderfully talented photographer and artist friends were on display too. AND Hilary’s (and thus Taylor’s) mom was there too, in town to visit her daughter and for Mother’s Day. So that was a pleasant blast from the past. Most of the teachers were around as were copious amounts of wine and just enough food. So it was a nice preview of what the farewell party would be like. After that, Helen, a few others, and I went to Darvish for baklava and coffee and hatched a last-minute plan for her birthday. We went to Standa where as presents of form Juan bought lots of beer and popcorn and I got her some Absolut and Jager. We went back to her apartment, blew up some balloons, and with a couple of her friends played the disgusting cigarette game (well really that was just Juan, Jack, and Henk), touch-cup, and kings. She doesn’t remember a lot of it. Thus a good birthday.

Saturday I spent most of the day sitting around the apartment and napping. And I think my roommates did the same judging by the two hours we sat in the living room doing nothing. NOTHING. And then eventually Soviet Anna came over and we watched the latest Lost episodes. And we went off to dinner at Zaza with Liz and Liane. After encountering a handful of Liane’s suitors on Dei Benci, we wound up at everyone’s favorite cultural association. It was past midnight and empty. So we just got numerous shots from Sergio and bullshitted with him for a while. And then stumbled home.

Sunday was a good day too. Cassie invited a bunch of us over for brunch. (Cheese omelet, broccoli and onion egg-white omelet, waffles, Nutella, maple syrup, butter, strawberry jam, rolls, Vitamix juice, goofy green juice, and pesto hash browns.) So we cooked and ate it on the terrace while watching a few of Brian’s hat tricks. Then a few of us went over to a park and played cards and drank red wine. Jack and I walked through the market for a while in search of those leather half-backpacks. But no luck. Since I was in the neighborhood, I went to go see what The Madonnas were up to. Southern Anna and I went to aperitivo at Sei Divino and had some strong drinks, so we found our way back to her house and made Sarah drink with us. We went through a few bottles of wine, a game of bullshit, and an entire game of kings. Rolling on the floor laughing drunk. Good times.

Yesterday/Monday was the beginning of the end finals. Food styling had a little writing section and one final recipe to be repeated without any help or instruction from Andrea. IT WAS THE VEAL PATE. AGAIN. And I didn’t even bring my book (not knowing we were allowed to use it) but it didn’t matter because at this point the recipe is imprinted in my brain. Jack and I were partners, of course, and brought him two plates. An amuse bouche serving (as it’s intended to be) and an appetizer-size version. In between bites, here are some excerpts of what Andrea said.

“I’m expecting this to be good.”
“The plating is nice, clean. Bello.”
“By now, you know this better recipe better than I.”
“It’s perfect. Bravissimi.”

WOW. Never expected that. Andrea is not one of those wow-all-of-you-are-so-wonderful teachers. In fact he’s kind of a perfectionist and always ready with constructive criticism. So that was a great way to end the semester.

Graphic design was much less eventful. We just printed out our final projects and did a last critique/roundtable. Mine was lost on the computer, so I told Louis I’d e-mail him the backup copy from my laptop. And he said, “Don’t worry about it. You already have a good grade in this class.”

When I get home I found a wonderful text message from Southern Anna. “So I think it’s red beans and rice Monday...” !!! I hauled ass over to their apartment and ate them. Wow. It made me miss Cajun food even more and all the more excited for my trip to New Orleans.

So yeah, now we’re all caught up on the recent past. And in the near future, for those of you who are wondering. Here’s where I’ll be:

Firenze, Italia: now - May 17
Washington, DC: May 17 - May 22
New Orleans, LA: May 22 - May 27
Washington, DC: May 27 - May 30
Chicago, IL: May 30 - June 5
Washington, DC: June 5 - ???
Quezon City, Philippines: ??? - ???

The Europe album might have to wait until I’m stateside again. And yes, there are several Florentine pictures that are coming soon.

No comments: