Thursday, May 22, 2008

back in U S of A

Saturday my family and Adrian’s new girlfriend Neely picked me up from the airport and took me to The Cheesecake Factory. (I can’t think of a place to get a more generously loaded plate of American food.) After lunch, we went to Whole Foods to get ingredients for dinner. I decided to make two dishes up but went with flavors and ingredients that I love and new the family would too: Seared scallops on top of a porcini and portabello mushroom risotto. Neely, Adrian, and I closed out the night with a viewing of L’Auberge Espagnole.

Sunday I woke up to mom making a delicious American breakfast. We went to church and then to another church for a baptism – my father being the godfather – and then lunch at the parents’ house. Back at home, I started unpacking while everyone else took naps. But all I really got unpacked were my carry-on bags. We made a dinner of randomness from whatever we had. I contributed a chopped salad of avocado, corn, tomato, and red onion with a lemon olive oil dressing.

Monday after dropping Neely off at the airport, Adrian and I went to El Chalan to meet our mother for lunch and then stopped by Gonzaga to get some transcript information for him and ran into some familiar faces. Always a pleasure to see the faculty. “Those damn Marins, always hanging around!” – Fr. Robert Rokusek. My family spent the evening doing something only we could believably do. Get ready. We went to Hooters for dinner and then watched Prince Caspian.

Tuesday I spent the entire day in my pajamas, something I can’t remember the last time I did. A good amount of time was also on the phone with all the friends I’ve been out of touch with since moving to Italy.

Wednesday I cleaned my room a bit while watching a marathon of the season of Top Chef. Eh. I’m a little indifferent. Still love the show but don’t love or hate (even Lisa) anyone to really get emotionally involved with the show. But I’ll keep watching.

No comments: