Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I’ll try to keep this brief.

Thursday 3/12

After the last update I got home to Miles making ribollita for himself and his friend Alexis. After a rather unsuccessful (if childish) game of Go Fish after struggling with the rules and having to google them, we taught her Rummy500. Then she and Miles left, and Emo and I played two more games. I won the first, and he won the second, which was definitely more intense and enjoyable.

Friday 3/13

I feel like I’ll be writing about my wine vineyard adventures at the end of all of them because I keep putting them off. I went to dinner with Sergio, Gina, and Anita. I got some penne alle carretiera, my favorite vegetarian pasta dish. It’s a spicy tomato sauce. Johnson was there also with a bunch of people including Alexis From The Night Before. Then we hung out at a bar for a while.

Saturday 3/14

Adrian and I spent the entire day cooking and the afternoon playing rummy. He’d invited Sergio over for dinner and picked a menu. Shrimps wrapped in potato and bacon, spinach lasagne with pork Bolognese and ricotta cheese, and veal liver and onions. We took the rummy to the bar for the evening and taught Michaela and Nicole how to play. Then due to all the dance music that had been playing all night, the girls and I were convinced into going clubbing with Cristian, Marissa, and company. We got back to the bar around four in the morning and stayed after-hours for some quality time with Sergio and Adrian.

Fuori di Taste 3/15

This did not stop us from waking up the next morning and going to Fuori di Taste, a food festival that was taking here in Florence. Unsurprisingly, we ate a lot of food... tons of cheese, balsamic vinegar tasting, truffles both real and chocolate, prosciuttos, sausages, flourless egg/less chocolate cake, pastries etc. They had a little food court thing, so I got salmon carpaccio with grapefruit and arugula. But for me, the highlight was a chocolate with Darjeeling tea flavored filling.

It was a good eating day. Afterwards, on the way home, I introduced the girls to Kebab Lady. So we got more food, and then went back to their apartment to play rummy on the patio. And then we got gelato and chilled at our apartment with Adrian, Miles, and Emo. Magic tricks and mind teasers. And then I had the impulse (or rather, the encouragement) to bake a chocolate cake, which we topped with more gelato. So yeah, it was a great day.

Monday 3/16

Michaela, Adrian, and I went to a wine tasting for Antinori. It was led by their very skilled enologist Mr. Cotorella. The wines were amazing and his story and wisdom were pretty ridiculously inspiring. Afterwards, we grabbed dinner at the trattoria and then hung out with Sergio the rest of the night.

Tuesday 3/17

I had my professional cooking midterm, then Andrea took us a visit to the Market, where he introduced us to the stands he shops and cautioned us against certain less-reputable salesmen. The evening was pretty chilled out. Rummy with the roommates. And then, since both Emo and Miles are from foreign countries that aren’t the United States, I introduced them to the Saturday Night Live music videos for "Dick In A Box" and "Jizz In My Pants."

Wednesday 3/18

I had my Enology and Viticulture (aka Wine) and then my Tradition of Italian Food II midterms. The former I somehow miraculously passed and the second was pretty smooth sailing. That night Adrian was playing guitar for an aperitivo at a cultural association that we usually frequent later at night.

Thursday 3/19

Dessert Styling and Italian Pastry midterms. Nothing too notable except for that Dessert Styling was maybe half questions we reviewed and half questions we hadn’t prepared for at all. Not surprising. Thursday was more dessert-heavy than ever because I arrived to school to the pleasant surprise of carrot cake (from Bonnie) and cinnamon gelato (from the Advanced Pastry girls). And then on top of that, those were the only classes I had that held class after the exam. Styling was dedicated to sugar paste and royal icing. (Yeah, a lot of sugar.) And Italian pastries was dedicated to Rice cakes (not the light American fluffy kind) and Salame Dolce, a chocolate dessert. I needed real food, so I went to aperitivo and hung out with Johnson and Tommy The Bartender.

Friday 3/20

Another wine trip which wasn’t as eventual as the other one, but we went to a really big castle and then had an amazing lunch in Chianti at a butcher’s restaurant. That night, after a LOST viewing, I finally made it to one of Marissa’s dinner parties. She and Victoria pulled out all the stops: Orrechiete with a spicy seafood sauce, Sicilian-style Roasted peppers and eggplant, and flourless chocolate cake with strawberries.

Saturday 3/21

I made brunch for Adrian using some ingredients I’d picked up at the butcher shop in Chianti. Steak tartare to start with and then scrambled eggs, garlic sage potato wedges, sautéed beef, and red pepper jelly.

I don’t remember what we did all afternoon because all of a sudden, Adrian was making dinner. Roasted tomato, goat cheese, and onion frittatini. We had some extra buttered molds, so I made molten chocolate cake for dessert. We played rummy until Marissa came over for sangria. Barhopping. We wound up at Tommy's Goodbye Party, where I ran into Anita which was kind of awkward since I’d “stood her up” on our weekly dinner double date with SerGina.

Sunday 3/22

Adrian is taking advantage of the empty apartment by cooking all the time. An All-American Lunch was fettucini alfredo, pan-fried chicken with pan gravy, and some leftover salami biscuits that Emo and Miles had made.

Claudio, one of my former professors, had invited me to the post-renovation reopening of a sushi restaurant. Adrian and I went, but the event was so well-attended that despite the free wine and buffet, we didn’t stay. We got sandwiches from Kebab Lady and went home.

Later in the evening, anticipating hunger we went and had sushi at the new sushi place near our place. Then we played a game of rummy and tried to decipher LA Fattoria, the nonsensical but sexy game show that was on TV.

Monday/Yesterday 3/23

It was a very relaxed day. Adrian and I went to the grocery and restocked the fridge. I went to dinner with Bonnie, one of my Pastry classmates, and her mother at Mario’s restaurant. Dinner was amazing, particularly the breads and dessert which of course is what we were most interested in since we knew he was the source of them.

Tuesday/Today 3/24

I updated my journal and tried to keep it brief.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha for SNL clips. Last wed on my date at the Deuling Piano Bar they performed dick in a box, and one of the employees even danced on stage with an actual box on his dick/belt! My date had never seen it before! i forced him to take out his iPhone and youtube it.