Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunday again...

Tuesday 2/10/09

Professional cooking was all about knives and knife skills. Andrea had a representative from a knife specialty shop come in and do a presentation on all the different styles of knives, both Western and Japanese. From steel to Teflon to ceramic to titanium. We also had to practice sharpening on steels and then stones with both with water and oil. The dish of the day was minestrone, aka a soup of made of over a dozen vegetables requiring several different cuts.

That night, I made Trippa alla fiorentina with the recipe Gianni, a trattoria owner, had given me a few nights back. It came out really well, and even Adrian enjoyed it. So that’s a good sign, seeing as how he’s not a big fan of tripe.

Speaking of Adrian, he played an acoustic set at the bar, which seemed pretty well-received. Even if the second half was a bit lot drunken. As soon as it ended around midnight, I left though. Wasn’t feeling that well.

Wednesday/Thursday 2/11/12/09

I did nothing on these days except lie in bed sick, miss classes, and hate life.

Friday 2/13/09

More daytime recovery. Adrian made dinner: Veal scallopine and tomato jararquias ("nests") stuffed with eggs, cream, and cheese. Miles and I went out briefly. We saw Sergio and Miko, another Italian friend from my first semester, who’s back in town.

Saturday 2/14/09

Got up feeling a little better. Baked an almond and orange coffee cake. Adrian made risotto. Spent the afternoon doing I-don’t-know-what. Our apartment not only came with no bookcase. There’s not even a single book. So maybe I’ll have to get some non-culinary ones.

I went to the church of Sant'Egidio in the early evening. (No, I don’t know who he is in English.) Hit up aperitivo at the bar and hung out Mateo, the bartender, and Laura the aussie cocktail waitress. Mateo knows my knew pastry chef/instructor. We celebrated our bachelorhood with a combination of sighs, drinks, and laughs. Didn’t stay out late again. I don’t want a relapse.

Sunday 2/15/09

I’m feeling well I think. I’m at a bar drinking espresso and getting online.

No comments: